The Ties That Bind Seminar Is Sponsored By The Following Organizations:
For many adoptive families with children, making arrangements to attend a training seminar may be difficult. For this reason The Ties That Bind Seminar provides quality infant care and age appropriate activities for children of all ages, which is included in your registration fee. By providing these services parents may attend valuable training sessions while still being able to check in on their children. All of the planned activities will take into con-sideration the ages and developmental levels of those registered to attend. Some of the highlights of this year’s children’s program will include:
• Self-Development Workshops: Through engaging cooperative games and experiential learning activities children will learn how to cope with bullying, build self-esteem, and identify feelings. Workshops will encourage cooperation, empathy for others, and understanding emotions.
• Healthy Living Amazing Race Team Challenges and “Jump Into Fitness” Scavenger Hunt: As part of a fun, interactive, team-building adventure on the conference center grounds, children ages 6 to 11 will participate in a series of challenges that will help them discover the benefits of working in a team, eating healthy and participating in regular physical activity. Children should be good and tired at the end of the day!
• Bruce Bernstein returns this year to delight elementary age children. Bruce will present “Music is Magic,” which is a one-man presentation covering several musical instruments from the String, Woodwind and Brass families. Children will learn about and hear sound production on the violin, cello, guitar, flute, clarinet and trumpet. They will have ‘hands-on’ experience in producing their own sounds on these instruments.
• Outdoor Festival As in the past years, O’Brien Productions will be providing another special event for our children. Children of all ages will enjoy out-door fun on a variety of large inflatables. Younger children will also be able to ride the train all around the conference center grounds.
• Big Thinkers makes science fun this year! All 6 to 11 year-olds will explore the physics of movement in the thrilling “Phenomenal Physics” show. Children will be shouting, “I can feel the force!” Children will be amazed as they explore the whirring world of physics! They will defy gravity as they make water levitate! Gain a new perspective about inertia with some “skate board science.” Observe awesome flashes of heat as we convert energy from potential to kinetic. This PHYSICS show is PHABULOUS!!!
• New this year, we are thrilled to have performers from Capoeira Maculelê Decatur Brazilian Art Center demonstrate Brazilian Capoeira, which is a unique combination of kicks, acrobatics, dance and live music. Capoeira combines self defense, martial arts, music, culture, history, and more all into one unique and exciting experience that is guaranteed to keep children engaged and focused. Capoeira is one of the best ways for children to develop mind, body and strength as well as build a positive character and personality through self-expression. Children will get to participate in a brief class led by Mestres Fran and Sara de Silva, who have been doing capoeira for 40 and 30 years, respectively.
• Wendy Bennett returns this year to entertain preschoolers and elementary kids with her delightful musical storytelling. Wendy’s amazing voice and her puppets bring storybook characters to life. Children are involved with plenty of audience participation. Wendy encourages children to experience books in a fun interactive way!
Teens will enjoy their own Youth Leadership Training Seminar designed specifically for their age group. All youth participants this year will enjoy an exciting opportunity for personal growth as well as the opportunity to interact and form connections with other teens. Throughout the weekend, all teens will participate in a series of Healthy Lifestyles Workshops focusing on all aspects of their health and will learn valuable tools to take better care of themselves. In the Stress Management Workshop, teens will learn techniques for managing stress and coping with intense emotions, such as yoga and meditation, in a healthy way. The Enhancing Peer Relationships Workshop will help younger teens practice healthy peer relationship skills via activities focused on empathy, conflict resolution, resisting peer pressure, and dealing with rejection. Older teens will participate in the Healthy Relationships Workshop to assist them in examining trust, depending on others, and recognizing characteristics of unhealthy relationships.
Living Healthy Amazing Race Team Challenges and Scavenger Hunt: As part of a fun, interactive, team-building adventure on the hotel grounds, teens will participate in a series of challenges to test their knowledge of nutrition, healthy eating habits, personal fitness, and overall healthy behaviors.
New this year, we are thrilled to have performers from Capoeira Maculelê Decatur Brazilian Art Center demonstrate Brazilian Capoeira, which combines self defense, martial arts, music, culture, history, and more all into one unique and exciting experience that is guaranteed to keep teens engaged and focused. Capoeira is one of the best ways for teens to develop their mind, body and strength as well as build a positive character and personality through self-expression. Teens will receive instruction from Mestres Fran and Sara de Silva, who have been doing capoeira for 40 and 30 years, respectively.